There has been a lot of exciting developments the past few weeks. Paramount of which is the purchase and move into our new home! Amongst the chaos of Realtors, lawyers and mortgage brokers I did manage to complete the cargo rack for my Tacoma in time to transport the first of our possessions to the new digs.
The process is lengthy and about as exciting as watching stain, or urethane, dry. In fact that is precisely what I did for almost 3 weeks. Each night after the 45 minute commute home I had enough time to apply exactly one-half of one coat of either stain or sealant to the disassembled cargo rack.
The following is largely a photographic documentation of the finishing process, and as a bonus, the first few truck loads of items we moved into the new place using the still-not-fully-cured cargo rack.
Stain and Seal
This past weekend I got to spend some time doing what I really LOVE…building stuff. In an attempt to conserve funds and expedite the increase in our potential to purchase a home, my wife and I have decided to move back in with my parents. However, we are not simply moving back into the room I grew up in, with the intention of sleeping across the hall from my parents, sharing a bathroom and every meal together. The space we will occupying within the house is, for all intensive purposes, a completely separate dwelling.
The house my family lives in is very old, and quite large. We have an old black and white photo of the house sometime in the early 1900′s with a horse-and-buggy tide out front and a sign hung over a secondary door to my childhood room that reads “General Store.” The home my parents own has housed a bed-and-breakfast, general store, grocery store, a few residential owners, and a number of other uses. As you can imagine, it is quite large.
Through the locust grove
Our family has never lived on the on the second floor. All the bedrooms and living spaces have always been on the ground level, reserving the entire second floor for storage and entertainment. Through the years my parents have owned the home there have been a number of wandering souls spend a few nights or weeks in one guest room or another on the second level, but there has been no functioning bathroom or kitchen, (since we have removed the 6 toilets from the previous use.)
Once we decided to move into this space we discussed the addition of a bathroom, attempting to utilize some existing plumbing and increase the market retail value for the future. My parents accepted this proposal and this past weekend we took the first steps in creating an apartment-like space upstairs. In fact, the available square footage on the second floor of the house is considerably larger than some of the apartments we have stayed in previously.
The Master Bedroom wing
I enjoy this work immensely and am quite please to be able to get back into it. Another huge bonus for making this move is the ability to use my Dad’s workspace and tools for further construction projects! I will try to document this process, but will have to be attentive, as we will be moving forward rapidly in order to try and complete the project by our move-in date.